The Crash and Drive-Through Car Wash

For the record, I was medicated.

I hate the car washes where you have to get your tire on their tiny, little track. Oh, the embarrassment I have suffered! It's horrible when you just can't get your tire on the track and a stranger behind you jumps out and asks if he can do it for you. (It's amazing how many strangers will offer to parallel park your car, too! Beautiful people.)  For a long time, I refused to use these types of car washes, but one day I thought to myself, "O.K. Rachael. You can't live your life in fear of the track forever. Just do it!" 

I had no idea what fear was yet!

I finished pumping my gas, got in the car, and with fear and much apprehension, approached "The Track."

I was pleasantly surprised when the tire landed on the track and I sat back and waited for it to send me through the car wash.

Nothing happened.

So I waited.

Nothing happened.

I figured that I did not successfully put my tire on the track and attempted it again.

I got the tire on the track, sat back, and...nothing happened.

My small kids and my niece were in the back telling me to turn around, but I had to forge ahead.

At this point, there were people in line behind me and there was no way I was going to get out of my car and ask them to back up so I could get out of the car wash. No, I had to make it through one way or another.

I tried yet again to get my tire on track and when I couldn't, I decided that I didn't need the track after all and I would just drive through myself. 

Wouldn't you?

And so I drove, being careful to go slowly just like I would on the track. The water sprayed, the bubbles appeared, and the shredded rubber came down, throwing itself back and forth onto my windshield. All was well, except for my children in the back who were literally screaming for me to get out of there. They were afraid of car washes and this certainly wasn't helping.

And then…I'm flinching as I type this…the side rollers approached. I never knew this before, but they are moved about by these huge- amazingly huge!--pieces of thick--amazingly thick!-- metal and if your car is in the wrong spot at the wrong time, well…read on. 

What I also didn't know at the time is that these amazingly thick pieces of metal actually move inward…at the right time...regardless of what place your car is in. With eyes wide and hands shaking, I watched the thick metal embrace and squeeze the right side of my car. 

Oh, the sound of your car being crushed is something one never forgets!

I was literally fearful of my children's lives, as I wasn't sure just how tight these pieces of metal would squeeze my car, so I stepped on the gas and steered left, knowing I had to get out of there quick!

I made it through--alive, hallelujah!--and got out of the car. It wasn't pretty. I was due to meet Travis at his office immediately following this crazy ordeal. His co-workers got a good laugh and Travis...well, let's just say he wasn't laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment